Looking for a cheaper and easier way to seal your mylar bags? Well, look no further, the answer to your problem is a hair straightener. It is both efficient and economical to use.
Also, it is better than using a clothes iron where you’d have to set down the bag on a board, fold down the edges and then use it on top.
By sealing the bags with a flat iron, you can store almost anything starting from dehydrated mean to cereals, freeze fried veggies and fruits, and even pharmaceutical items.
The thick layer of foil laminate allows very little Oxygen Transmission Rate.
With a temperature of 375- 425 F, you can get the best seal. You can use a flat iron from sally beauty supply if you want to go the budget route.
But, if you are looking for a premium flat iron, then you can give NuMe hair straightener a shot, the quality is worth every penny.
Anyways, in this article, I’ll show you how to seal mylar bags with hair straightener.
How To Seal Mylar Bags?
- Place the items in the mylar bag.
- Choose a bag that is of the appropriate size. Throw in a packet of oxygen absorbers to remove any remaining moisture inside the bag.
- Switch on the hair straightener and set it to 350 F.
- Give it a few minutes to reach the heating temperature.
- Slightly squeeze the bag to let the air escape.
- Fold an inch of the opening of the bag.
- Tack the mylar bag. Press down one edge of the bag in between the flat iron and then slide it across the top.
- Ensure that the bag is properly sealed. Lightly squeeze the bag again to check if there is any air escaping.
- Before putting the bags away, wait a day and check the seals.
- Reseal it, if necessary.
Note: Don’t forget to mark your bag with a name tag before you seal it
Things To Know While Handling Oxygen Absorbers
- If you have any extra oxygen absorbers, you can store them in an airtight container so that you can use them later.
- You can also store the bags in the container while you are sealing the bag, this way, you will get some extra time.
- Make sure you know how many absorbers you need. The number depends on the size of the bag. The larger the bag, the more absorbers you need. So, if you are using a quart size bag, then you need two 50cc absorbers, and six if you are using a gallon.
Benefits Of Using Mylar Bags
- The seal prevents foul odor from forming inside the bag.
- Prevents moisture and light from entering the bag.
- Prevents bugs from hatching eggs.
- If you are storing food items, it prevents nutrient loss by sunlight such as vitamin A and C.
- Protects important documents and mementos such as photos, postcards, and even books.
- Prevents the oxidation of ferrous objects like nuts and bolts.
So, whether you are going out on a vacation or simply putting away dried food in your pantry, you can easily use a mylar bag for storage. It is thin and flexible. Plus, the ability to seal it with a hair straightener makes the process a lot easier.
Apart from Sally Beauty irons, the other budget alternative would be flat irons from Milstan Feather. Both these brands provide stellar performance for the price.
Now that you know how to seal mylar bags with hair straightener, you won’t have to go through the tedious process of sealing them with an iron or a clamshell heat sealer.