When you come to think about it, having your hair look luscious and beautiful through the night is quite tricky.
Not everyone has a ‘great hair day’ when they wake up looking half-busted. You can use something premium like a NuMe straightener to get the look. But maintaining it is a whole other ballgame. Still, there are a few techniques and strategies that you can consider.
Now, the question is – how to keep hair straight overnight without wrapping it? Well, if you don’t like twisting and wrapping your hair during precious nap time, here’s what you should do:
- Brush your hair
- Apply hair straightening treatments and thermal protectants
- Tie loose top-bun
- Avoid humidity
- Use dry shampoo and volumizer
In this article, I have mentioned in detail the different ways you can apply to maintain your locks.
Tips on How To Keep Hair Straight Overnight Without Wrapping
Brushing/combing hair before bed
Going to bed with wet hair can cause it to bend. This process works best on straight or slightly wavy hair. So, before you head to bed, do this-
- Shampoo your hair first and then apply conditioner.
- Use a wide-tooth comb or a paddle brush to comb your hair. By doing this, you can easily detangle your hair and get rid of the knots.
- If your hair is taking a long time to dry off then use a blow dryer along with the brush. This will speed up the process.
- Make sure that your hair is completely dry from root to tip before going to bed.
Using a narrow-tooth comb can either yank your hair by its roots or make it soft so avoid it at all cost. Also, use products with ‘smoothing’ properties and avoid the ones that have sulfates in them. Sulfates can dry out your hair and cause it to frizz.
Hair straightening treatments
You can easily find a number of oils, creams, and serums that can calm down rough frizzy hair. To deal with this hair type, you will need the additional support of hair care treatments.
- Take a pea-size portion of product on the palm of your hand
- Dip your fingers in and slowly run them through your tresses
- Start at the roots and work your way to the tips.
- Make sure that the product gets evenly distributed. For this, you can use a fine-toothed comb.
Using heat protectants
It is a great way of protecting your hair from high temperatures. That is why you should apply it every time you are using a heating tool on your locks. When you are styling your hair, use a silicone-based spray. It nourishes the cuticle with fatty acids and vitamins. And, can be applied on both dry and wet hair.
- Section your hair with the help of clips
- Apply the hair spray liberally throughout the length of your tresses, section by section.
- Once you have straightened your hair – with something like a BaByliss flat iron or Nume – spray your hair for the second time for a final touch.
Tie loose top-bun
If you have long hair, after applying any one of the techniques mentioned above, tying your hair in a loose bun will maintain its straight look.
- Before going to bed, brush your hair in an upward direction.
- Bring it up to the crown of your head.
- With the help of an elastic hairband, tie it in a loose ponytail.
- Section the ponytail into two halves and then round it into a bun. You can also use a scrunchie for this step.
Keep it Humidity-free
Humidity is one of the major causes of frizzy hair.
- Whenever there is a downpour, use an umbrella to keep your hair from getting soaked. Or, you can stay indoors to protect it from moisture.
- Even sweating can ruin the straightness of your hair. So, installing an air-conditioner will keep the temperature of the room cool.
- You can also use anti-humidity spray.
Apply dry shampoo
Using dry shampoo is one of the simplest and easiest ways to keep your hair straightened overnight. It keeps your scalp from sweating and also gives a volumized look. With this, you don’t need to rewash or style your hair every time you wake up.
- While spraying, keep the dry shampoo spray about six inches away from the roots of your hair.
- Allow it to stay in between the tresses for a minute or two. Then begin massaging your scalp.
- In the case of powder dry shampoo, apply one or two shakes of the product to your roots.
- Massage your scalp and then run your fingers along the length of the hair to spread the shampoo evenly.
If your hair is straight or if it is naturally fine, then you can go for a volumizing tonic. But people with rough hair need to use a flat iron for coarse hair before using any volumizer.
- Take a dime-size amount of tonic on the palm of your hand.
- By using the tip of your fingers, run it along your hair.
- This technique works best when the hair is still wet. It also keeps the strands secure if you are styling your hair.
Use a different fabric
Cotton pillowcases tend to draw out the oils from your scalp. Using silk or satin cases causes less friction between the scalp and the fabric and produces less oil. Your hair can stay straight for a longer period of time.
Tips and tricks
There are also a few basic tactics that you can apply. And doing so will reduce the hassle of worrying about keeping your hair straight.
- Pin down different sections of your hair by using Kirby grip or slide. This will prevent the curling of the hair.
- Use low-temperature settings while blow-drying. High temperatures can damage fine hair cuticles. Try to maintain a temperature between 300 – 350F.
- Avoid styling your hair frequently. Do it intermittently after a break. This will give your hair some time to recover.
- Refrain from fiddling with your strands. This will reduce the effectiveness of the hair spray and loosen its straightness.
- Wear a shower cap while taking a bath or if you are out in the rain.
Wake Up Looking Fab
Honestly, knowing how to keep hair straight overnight without wrapping can save a lot of prep time the next morning. This way, you don’t always have to be in a rush to get your day started.
All you have to do is apply any one of the mentioned techniques or a combination of them. They are easy to follow and don’t take a lot of time. You will notice that some of the techniques also focus on nourishing and enriching the hair. This will benefit you in more ways than one. I hope this article helps you wake up in the morning without the dread of losing your night’s work. Cheers!