Using a flat iron for your braids is a nice way to make a portion of your hair wavy. Probably, you have seen some people with that cool half wavy half straight hair. It gives you a unique appearance and makes you stand out in front of the crowd.
Nonetheless, I would not suggest you flat iron your braiding hair regularly as it can lead to hair damage. So, save it for special occasions only and make sure to follow all the things below.
In my article about ‘can you flat iron braiding hair’, I have talked about everything you need to straighten your braids. Scroll down to see what I got in store for you.
Recommended Flat Iron for Braiding Hair
How Can You Flat Iron Braiding Hair
Although it may seem difficult and risky, the process of straightening your braiding hair is actually very simple.
So, without further ado, let’s discuss how you can flat iron your braiding hair.
- Wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner. Make sure it is neat and clean before you create the braids.
- Make small or large braids according to your preference. I would suggest thick braids as skinny braids give a crimped look to the hair.
- Take up a flat iron, possibly a good one. If you are not sure which one to use, check out this link for more information on nume straighteners.
- Heat up the flat iron and make sure the temperature suits your hair type. Keep it on the minimum settings unless you have thick, coarse hair. (Click here to read more about it)
- With a downwards motion, run the straightener through your braids. Start from the root and end at the tip of your hair.
- Do it a couple of times to get the best result.
- Open your Braids, and voila, you have your picture-perfect wavy hair.
Expert tip: you will be able to flat iron faster with skinny braids. However, the thicker your braids are, the slower you will need to go. I have tried it out, and it does ensure the best result.
The Do’s and Don’ts Before Flat Ironing Your Braiding Hair
While there are some risks of damaging your braiding hair during the straightening process, it is certainly not impossible.
Straightening braiding hair is not as simple as flat ironing natural hair. You need to be cautious about the heat, the braid, and how you are heating it. If you do it wrong or go without proper protection, chances are you will end up damaging a chunk of your hair. It can result in your hair becoming frizzy or, worse, burnt.
Hence, before straightening, always make sure to use a heat protectant. It reduces the chance of hair damage and makes the overall process easier.
Make sure your hair is clean and if you are straightening it the right way.
Finally, use a good straightener of a reputed brand like Babyliss.
How to Get Wavy Hair Without Flat Ironing Braids
You will pretty much get the same results if you keep your braids overnight. It is a safer process, and there is no risk of damaging your hair.
However, the process takes quite a few hours. Therefore, people tend to flat iron braids to get that wavy hair look quickly.
Time to Flat Iron Your Braiding Hair
I’ve seen many posts about can you flat iron braiding hair? To all those people, I am saying it again, yes you can. People all around the world are now using a flat iron on their braiding hair to get that semi wavy semi-straight look. Now it’s time for you to check it out yourself.